Saturday, November 2, 2013

Pumpkin Pie

Yes, it's as good as it looks! We topped it with delicious homemade vanilla ice cream. We grew pumpkins this year, which I used to make pumpkin pie today. The story of our pumpkins is kind of funny. We carved jack-o-lanterns last year, like we always do, and threw the guts and seeds in the compost. In the spring, we spread the compost when we planted some peppers and tomatoes. And pumpkins grew. Lots of pumpkins!

Here is one of them, before it turned completely orange:

I made three yummy pies, two regular and one gluten-free and vegan.

I started by making pumpkin puree--click here to see how.

For the regular ones, I used the recipe in Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book 15th Edition: Gifts from the Kitchen (Better Homes & Gardens Plaid) For the gluten free/vegan one, I just substituted soy milk for the regular milk and flax seed eggs (1 T ground flax plus 3T water = 1 egg).

Making pie is a pretty frugal thing to do, especially since I didn't have to buy the pumpkin. But a few other things made it even cheaper for me:

I received the Better Homes and Garden cookbook for a wedding present, and it was so well-used that when I found a like-new one for $2 at a yard sale 20 years later, I grabbed it.

Shopping at a surplus outlet (A store that sells slightly expired/dented/store-went-out-of-business foods), I bought:

-soy milk for 50 cents

-pumpkin pie spice for 50 cents

-sugar for 69 cents a pound

-Pillsbury gluten free pie crust for 79 cents

-bag of flour for 79 cents

It was very low-cost and used things I bought because I got them cheap or that I already had in my fridge (like milk and eggs).

No comments:

Post a Comment